Friday, October 21, 2005

From Jakarta with Love

I am blogging this from Jakarta, having came over on Wednesday night for the preview yesterday. My IT guy and constant clubbing buddy, Zann is still concussed on his bed, and here I am wrapped up in the blanket, sitting in front of the computer, using overpriced broadband.

First time in Jakarta where I don't have to entertain at night. Also first time I'm sick only AFTER I touched down. There's a first for everything I guess.

Loads of folks think that Jakarta is a dangerous place. Walk out into the streets and get mugged, terrorists by the dime, and throw a broken side mirror and you hit 14 bad drivers.

Here's my take. The streets are not as safe as Singapore, and since most of us can't speak good bahasa, and look generally rich. Just be careful flaunting too much money around. Common sense.

Terrorists... hmm... haven't seen any so far, I'll keep a look out. But think about it. Jakarta is NOT a small place. It's got almost 9 million people stretched out in an area where you can comfortably put the whole of Singapore and then maybe Ubin, Sentosa, AND Tekong. Not easy to find a needle in a haystack.

Too often I hear people talking about a flood in Jakarta to mean like the whole place is doing a historical re-enactment of Atlantis. Same thing as having a news report that there's a fire in a flat in Tuas and think that the whole of Singapore is in flames.

Now driving in Jakarta. I am of 2 minds about this. There are a LOT more cars, and traffic jams here at rush hour make CTE at 7pm look like having one inconsiderate driver hogging the lane on a 3-lane road. The Jakarta driver can sneak through gaps that are tighter than Scrooge's butt. On the other hand, I see something here that is strangely absent in Singapore.

People ACTUALLY give way to other drivers.

I know, it's true... No matter how apparently RUDE these other drivers are, people actually give way. It's amazing! Makes driving in Jakarta a lot safer than some places in sg.

One plus point about Jakarta I give you. They have the most amazing restaurants. There's an enormous amount of things one can do with space. Yesterday we went to a place, where the ENTIRE museum is converted into a restaurant. The menus come at the back of photo frames, and my goodness... the place is pretty damn big. Food's not fantastic, but hey, when one is eating dinner at nearly midnight, it tastes pretty damn good to me.

Well... enough rants and raves of Jakarta. I'll be touching down in Sg again tonight at 915... ahhh... duty free... Makes ANY trip seem worthwhile. 2 more bottles to my dream of a full bar.

No comments: