Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Break Up Season?

2 friends on seperate occasions tell me that their marriage is on the rocks.

Ouch.

There is a slight difference in the way they are handling it though. And it seems to be making all the difference.

In one, both the hubby and wife is committed to making the marriage work. It's not about me, or my needs, it's about US. They're getting counselling because well, frankly counselling is not something glamourous, but I think that the marriage is more important than even ego.

The other, well, the needs of the individual outweigh the commitments of the marriage.

Which is right? I don't think there is ever a right or wrong in this circumstance. Just personal decision, and then moving on after, the best way we know how. End of the day, there's just the words of Old Blue Eyes to accompany us to our graves,

And now, the end is near;And so I face the final curtain...
I've lived a life thats full.
I've traveled each and evry highway...

Regrets I have a few,
but then again, too few to mention...

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

2 comments:

Kismet said...

marriage above love and glamour, is a commitment that comes with responsibility..a commitment that even when it falls short of glamorous, one would commit to trying to make it work..thats how I see it..too little see the US..to much ME all the time

Vandalin said...

Aye, it's tough, but hey, to those that make it work, the rewards are just beautiful.