Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Deep and Overwhelming Respect

When was the last time you talked to the person at the check-out counter?

The 7-11 near my place has an absolutely outstanding character, someone I KNOW, beyond the shadow of a doubt that he will become amazingly successful. In an extremely short time, and without a doubt. And he will be one of those people who's both successful, probably fairly rich, and very happy.

I started talking to him, because there was one night when I came back exhausted from work, and I wanted to get some Peel Fresh (Notice how they don't sell Peel Fresh Mango except in big department stores now?) and when I was paying, I noticed that this chap had an absolutely BRILLIANT smile on his face.

Now when was the last time you went to 7-11 at 11pm and the salesperson was actually HAPPY to see you? It was so amazing I started talking to him.

And talking... and talking... It was 2 hours later, when I left my neighbourhood 7-11 with a litre of Peel Fresh and a new friend.

In those 2 hours, virtually everyone that came into that little branch in the middle of nowhere called out a chirpy hello to him. And he likewise hollered out to each one of them by name. In those 2 hours, I met more of my neighbours than in 3 years in this neighbourhood.


He told me about what he wanted to do. He wants to make it in life. He's actually doing something about it. At that time, he runs a little advertising and events outfit with a few friends, and at night, it's the graveyard shift in 7-11 because after 2 years, you can "own" a 7-11 branch where one holds significant shares in one particular branch. I shared with him what I learnt from reading through some work from Jay Abraham.

Right now, this enterprising fellow let his events thing fallow, works in a big hotel's PR department in the day, and carries on at 7-11 at night. To top it off, he actually starting a little fishing supplies store in Hougang. And he took some of Jay Abraham to heart, and negotiated a 50% reduction in his shop rental.

RESPECT!

From this fellow, I rediscovered the meaning of passion. Putting one's heart and soul into his dreams. I questioned one more time what IS truly possible when a person has the courage, tenacity, WILL and passion to do keep moving forward. I see also the joy that comes with vividly working towards one's goals, and doing so with a big radiant grin on his face. I am also reminded that just knowing is not good enough. And it's not hard to apply knowledge. All it takes a little balls, a little bit of thick skin, and a willingness to experiment.

As contradictory as it sounds, I am grateful to be given this opportunity to be humbled. And I am encouraged and thankful to know this great man in a 7-Eleven uniform, and unquenchable spirit.

If you are reading this Hermi, I want you to thank you my friend, for doing what you do. I have no doubt that you will be outstandingly successful, you will achieve your dreams and be exceedingly happy with life. I thank you for being an inspiration and a constant reminder of the enormous potential just by being you.

I also want to thank you for giving me a chance to know all my neighbours, and for bringing closer a group of people with no other similarity than a need for a midnight chocolate bar, or juice at ungodly hours.

Rock On!

No comments: