Monday, January 09, 2006

Interacting With Famous Folks

I wrote this during sermon today. Yeah, I know it's not right, but Friday night at MOS, and given that the sermon for today is a lot of rehashing old ground, my mind drifted. And so did my pen, it seems.

And here were my thoughts in the afternoon:

Poor famous types. I think they really have it rough.

First off, everyone is scrutinizing their actions in public and so they can never really cut loose and have fun.

Then they have to deal with hangers-on and if they are themselves to everyone, some leeches just never let go.

Be warm and you encourage the "stickers" no end. Be aloof and be seen as stuck up.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Heck, damned if you can't decide either way.

That being said, how does one truly start a conversation with a public figure? As you would everyone else? Probably, but it's not easy being feeling just a little intimidated, especially if they have their "game face" or "public face" on.

I mean, after thinking long and hard, I have finally figured out what I'd say to LKY, that is, if i ever do see him face to face. "Sir, you have my deepest respect. But I still think you're a bastard."

It's true, that is exactly how I feel about him, and the most condensed means by which to deliver it.

The rest?

Celebrities, television and radio personalities, and political figures and the rest of them. I mean, there aren't many common areas to discuss... are there?

How do I carry a conversation when I am not even sure where to start? And before I actually talk to the person, there is the "game face" to get through first?

I guess I'll have to take a page from Hitch. Call the bluff.
"Now why is it that folks like that don't get it? You're sending all the right signals, sitting alone, reading glasses with no book in sight, heels under 2 inches. And if that is not enough, there's that big "FUCK OFF" sign stamped across your forehead."

"I mean, how can it be possible that there is someone here who can actually engage in a normal conversation, and actually be interested in the words that are coming out of your mouth?"

Sometimes conversation even seems like a game, or a sparring ground, or a test. Verbal fencing, putting up walls, laying siege or surgical strikes. It's almost inevitable that walls come up, and then the other party tries to penetrate or get around it.

And in my first ever, and probably last trip into the MoS member's lounge, I was seeing walls all over the place. And well, that night, I was in the mood to dance, have a good conversation instead of having to deal with this. It was an interesting study of people there though, keeping quiet and watching.

I think I'll go spring that Hitch line on some atas type the next time I go there, or see anyone putting on airs... Watch out world!

No comments: